Tapping into ALL of your senses is a great way to be fully present while eating – because it isn’t just about taste. There are so many things to experience when we eat food — colors, textures, smells and even sounds. Let’s put this concept to the test!
The Mindful Raisin Challenge
- 3 plump, juicy raisins
How to eat raisins…mindfully:
1. With raisins in hand, begin to explore them with all of your senses. Imagine that you’ve never seen a raisin before. Discover everything you can about them!
2. Turn them around with your fingers and take note of the colors.
3. Observe the texture – any softness, hardness, coarseness, or smoothness.
4. Put the raisins up to your nose and take note of any aroma.
5. Place the raisins close to one ear, squeeze them or roll them around, listening to any sounds.
6. Now…the really fun part! Slowly put the 3 raisins in your mouth, noticing the sensation of your mouth beginning to water as you start to chew them.
7. Chew the raisins slowly and with intention until they are virtually disintegrated.
8. When you feel ready to swallow, note the sensations of swallowing the raisin – for example, sensing it moving down your throat and into your esophagus on its way to your stomach.
9. Visualize this happening, and the energy and nourishment that this intentional eating is going to provide your body.
10. Take a moment to congratulate yourself for taking this time to experience truly mindful eating!